First it was drinking cough syrups, then came glue-sniffing, then the increase attention on ecstasy pills. The latest trend in this is apparently sniffing "Spray Gelak". Check this video.
Apparently the substance responsible this time is called Ethylchloride, or in its more appropriate scientific name Chloroethane or monochloroethane.
According to wikipedia,
Ethyl chloride is a narcotic inhalant drug, sometimes referred to as "Duster". Similar to poppers, ethyl chloride is used as an inhalant (huffed) during sexual activity for an intense several-minute-long high that results in a prolonged orgasm. In Brazil, it is a traditional (though illegal) drug taken during Carnaval parades, known as "lança-perfume".
That's th few rotten apple in the basket of Malaysian teens for you. Why oh why do you guys do that?Ethyl chloride is the least toxic of the chloroethanes. Like other chlorinated hydrocarbons, it is a central nervous system depressant, albeit a less potent one than many similar compounds. People breathing its vapors at less than 1% concentration in air usually experience no symptoms. At higher concentrations, victims usually exhibit symptoms similar to those of alcohol intoxication. Breathing its vapors at 15% or higher is often fatal.