Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Gangster Clearup in Sarawak

A good move by the police, whatever means they used.

Question:
  • What next? Arrest the next 300 gang members?
  • Even if you arrest all the 300 gang members, are you going to put them on trial? Under what charges?
  • Even if all of them are found guilty, are you sure we have enough capacity in prison to house all of them?
Please don't kid me, Malaysia Boleh. But please, if you wanna counter gangsterism, a more innovative way is needed I think, the old catch and punish scheme wouldn't work anymore.

I hear people saying just go for the head of the gangsters. Hello, we're dealing with people of influence, probably some rich datuks I'm suspecting. And even if you've arrested them, there's still a way to bail themselves out. Forgive me if I'm not up-to-date with the current "market price", the last I heard, RM300k is good enough for a criminal to escape the death penalty and a clean record.

Unbelievable? Well, I hope my sources are correct. Don't believe the RM300k figure, it may just be rumours, but no smoke without fire right?

clipped from thestar.com.my
Suspected gangsters held
By STEPHEN THEN and LOURDES CHARLES


MIRI: The arrest came in the wake of an order by the Inspector-General of Police
to crack down on gangsters in Sarawak.


Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan, who went to Kuching and Sibu
last week to assess the crime situation for himself, had said a special task force
under his supervision would be set up to investigate those controlling the gangsters.


“We want to know if there are any influential people involved as alleged and will not
hesitate to act against them,” he had said.


Musa had also said that police had identified 16 gangs in the state, with a
membership of between 200 and 300 people, and would go all out to arrest them.


powered by clipmarksblog it

No comments: